"be brief and tell us everything."


Tuesday, March 5, 2013

lent reflections: the social media epidemic.


well here we are, already into the 3rd week of Lent. Participating in Lent is such a great spiritual practice and I am lucky to go to a church that acknowledges and encourages this important time during the church calendar. The act of giving something up for Lent represents the 40 days Jesus was in the desert. More than that, it represents things we may have become dependent on more than Christ. It is also a time to stop pretending, to get real with God, telling him what truly is on our hearts.

This year I gave up social media (facebook, twitter, instagram, blogs, websites) and chocolate. I am allowed to post on my blog, check my email and use the Internet only when necessary, like to look up directions or listen to music.

Now, I don’t think I am dependent on Chocolate or facebook, but when you give up these things, especially social media, you realize how much time it actually does fill.

Believe it or not, prior to 2006, people still had friendships and communicated with each other. Honestly, each year I give up social media is easier than the last and when I check facebook after Lent is over, it all seems so silly. Of course, these things in and of themselves are not bad; in fact, I have connected and built relationships with people I know or keep in touch with mainly through the Internet. But the time and distraction these sites become IS. It takes away from family, human interaction and being real with each other instead of the person we have made ourselves out to be behind the profile picture. We become so concerned with what everyone else is doing and making sure our live look good to others we loose our identity and begin to lack the confidence and knowledge that being our true selves is enough.

I saw a book at Barnes and Noble on this very subject titled, “Together Alone.” Those words perfectly sum up what too much social media has done to this generation. I think everyone would benefit from staying away from social media for 40 days. Heck, I would challenge some people to give it up for 24 HOURS. Stop the constant status updates and being so consumed with what your friends or followers think and comparing your life to the lives of others. Whatever happened to a little bit of privacy? Look up from your phone every once in a while and find other, possibly more productive ways to kill time. Life goes on and I promise you will only benefit from the break.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I am juggling so many sites and owning a smart phone definitely encourages the multi-management act. This post has inspired me to seriously re-evaluate my priorities and attempt to simplify life. Thanks and I'm so proud of your accomplishments! :)

    ReplyDelete